After making this recipe, you will perceive why Chrissy Teigen calls herself the soup grasp. It is all the things you like about hen pot pie — wealthy, hearty, creamy — nevertheless it’s means simpler to make, and the crust . . . the crust crackers are past. They’re flaky, buttery pie crust crackers that you simply use to scoop up the soup, and so they’re the actual star of this filling meal — have a look at that golden-brown sexiness! In the event you make this in your family and friends, they’ll bathe you with reward. And should you’re solely cooking for one or two, it makes for leftovers you will really sit up for consuming, plus you may freeze the relaxation for later.
One observe: you undoubtedly do not need to make the pie crust in a meals processor (I combined it by hand in a bowl, and it turned out nice). I did not make every other adjustments to the recipe, and it got here out completely. Pour your self a bowl of home-cooked love and make this recipe ASAP.
Chicken pot pie is one of my favourite issues on God’s inexperienced earth. Similar goes for Dad, whose Twitter is 99 % critiques of frozen pot pies and features a header background of his private favourite, the $0.99 Swanson model. I really like soup, so I wished to make one impressed by hen pot pie, with out, you recognize, having to make a pot pie. However I neeeeeed, I crave, that crust. The crust that I crack and blend into the creamy filling — the golden brown edges I save for scooping up the corners of the ramekin. So why not have all of it? We determined to make a single slab of crust and break it up in order that Each. Single. Chew. May be scooped up with the crust I so want.
This must be in some kind of corridor of fame. It wants a ribbon in the county honest, its personal present on TLC.
They may actually put something on tv.
- For the pie crust:
2 sticks (eight ounces) chilly unsalted butter, cubed
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
1 teaspoon superb sea salt
1/2 cup ice water
- For the soup:
6 cups low-sodium hen broth
2 cups entire milk
2 sticks (eight ounces) unsalted butter, minimize into chunks
2 tablespoons minced garlic (about three cloves)
1 cup all-purpose flour
four teaspoons kosher salt, plus extra to style
1 1/2 teaspoons freshly floor black pepper, or extra to style
1 giant russet (Idaho) potato, peeled and minimize into 1/2-inch cubes
1/2 pound diced carrots (2 cups)
1 cup frozen peas
1 cup frozen pearl onions
1/four pound deli ham, thinly sliced
1 pound skinless rotisserie hen meat, cubed (three cups)
1/2 cup heavy cream
- Make the crust: You may suppose the butter is chilly, however after you dice it, put it again in the fridge for at the very least 20 minutes.
- In a meals processor, pulse the flour and sea salt till integrated. Add the chilly butter and pulse till simply pea-size items of butter stay, 15 to 20 pulses. Add the ice water and pulse till a dough simply kinds, 15 to 20 pulses.
- Mud your work floor with some flour. Flip the dough out of the processor bowl and collect the dough into two 5-inch discs and wrap in plastic wrap. Freeze one of the discs for one more use (it would final for weeks in the freezer should you wrapped it good and tight). Chill the different dough disc in the fridge for at the very least 30 minutes (you may hold the dough in the fridge for as much as 2 days).
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Place the dough on a bit of parchment paper. Utilizing a floured rolling pin, roll the disc right into a 12-inch spherical (it doesn’t need to be excellent). Prick it throughout with a fork. Put the dough, with the parchment, on a baking sheet and bake till golden and crisp, about 30 minutes.
- Cool completely and break into items.
- Make the soup: In a saucepan, convey the broth and milk to a simmer and hold at a simmer.
- In an enormous soup pot, warmth the butter over medium-high warmth till foamy. Add the garlic and cook dinner, stirring, till aromatic, about 1 minute. Add the flour, cut back the warmth to medium, and cook dinner, stirring, till toasty and foaming, 2 to three minutes. Whisk in the broth-milk combination, slowly at first, then add the salt and pepper.
- Carry to a boil, then cut back the warmth and cook dinner till thickened, about 5 minutes. Add the potato, carrots, peas, pearl onions, and ham and simmer till the potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in the hen and cream and warmth by for five extra minutes. Season with salt and pepper to style and serve with the damaged pie crust on the facet.
Reprinted from Cravings: Recipes For All the Meals You Need to Eat. Copyright © 2016 by Chrissy Teigen. Revealed by Clarkson Potter/Publishers, an imprint of Penguin Random Home LLC.
- Major Dishes, Soup
- North American
- 10-12 servings
- Complete Time
- 1 hour, 44 minutes, 59 seconds
Picture Supply: POPSUGAR Images / Erin Cullum