- Lyft’s ride-hailing app makes it easy to order a Lyft for someone else.
- Whether someone you’re meeting doesn’t have the app, or you just want to be polite by ordering them a Lyft ride, you can do so within the app in a few simple steps.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
The ride-hailing app Lyft makes it easy to call rides from just about any city in North America.
Requesting a ride for someone else, whether they’re a friend, colleague, or family member, can also be easily done, as long as they’re 18 or older.
If you want to call a Lyft for a family member who doesn’t have the app, or you want to be polite and request a ride for a date, you can do so easily with just a few taps in the iPhone or Android app.
Check out the products mentioned in this article:
How to order a Lyft for someone else
1. Launch the Lyft app on your device, shown here on an iPhone X.
2. Type in the destination, or search for it at the bottom of the screen.
3. Next, make sure the pick-up location is your friend or family member’s current location — not yours. This might mean deleting the “current location” Lyft picks up using your phone’s GPS, and manually typing in their desired pick-up spot.
4. After you’ve entered your friend’s desired pick-up location and destination, choose the type of Lyft you want, and then tap “Select Lyft.”
5. The next page will ask you to confirm the pick-up location — you may also see at the top of the screen a notification telling you that the pick-up location is not near your current location.
6. Just below the pick-up destination, tap the “Add a note for driver” icon.
7. In the pop-up, add a brief note by selecting “You’ll be picking up…” and a short description of your friend and their name.
8. After you’ve added a note with your friend’s name and/or description, tap “Add note for driver.”
9. Next, tap “Confirm pickup.”
10. Pay for the ride.
11. Once a driver is assigned to the ride, you can also text or call the driver to let them know they’ll be picking up someone else.