The Patriots have set a excessive normal as a franchise over time, and even with Tom Brady’s departure, that is not going going to alter. But to stay aggressive, New England goes to want to search out some expertise on this 12 months’s draft. Luckily for the Patirots, they’ve 12 complete picks within the 2020 draft, so that they’ll have a lot of alternatives to search out hidden gems.
Last season, the Patriots went 12-Four within the common season however misplaced to the Titans 20-13 within the AFC Wild Card spherical. It was a fairly pitiful efficiency offensively as they struggled to get issues going within the passing sport. Part of the issue on offense was New England struggled to get a lot manufacturing from its 2019 draft class. First-round receiver N’Keal Harry was a nonfactor (12 catches for 108 yards in seven video games), third-round working again Damien Harris mainly took the season off after an early hamstring damage, and neither Yodny Cajuste (Round 3) andHjalte Froholdt (Round 4) performed a single snap on the offensive line.They’ll possible want to deal with these points by this 12 months’s draft by selecting up playmakers at receiver and tight finish.
And whereas final 12 months’s success was largely depending on protection, the departures ofKyle Van Noy, Jamie Collins and Elandon Roberts means they will have so much of holes to fill at linebacker. They’ll additionally have to pick up a kicker to exchange Stephen Gostkowski after launched the veteran again in March.
Here’s a take a look at the place the Patriots might be selecting within the 2020 NFL Draft together with up to date selections:
MORE 2020 NFL DRAFT:
Live grades | Pick tracker | Top 100 large board
Patriots draft picks 2020: When does New England pick?
The Patriots’ first pick within the 2020 NFL Draft might be No. 37 total within the second spherical after buying and selling theirfirst-round pick (No. 23) to the Chargers. New England has 13 draft picks remaining.
|Round||Overall Pick No.|
|2||37 (from Chargers)|
|3||71 (from Chargers)|
|4||125 (from Bears)|
|4||139 (from Buccaneers)|
|5||172 (from Seahawks by Lions)|
|6||195 (from Broncos)|
|6||204 (from Texans)|
|7||230 (from Falcons)|
MORE:Read the most recent NFL Draft information at SN’s draft HQ
Patriots NFL Draft wants
- Edge rusher: The Patriots obtained to the quarterback in robust committee trend final season however will want a person increase after a number of departures. Look for them to get an out of doors linebacker/defensive finish hybrid to kill two birds with one stone.
- Linebacker: The Patriots might want to rediscoverversatility on the second stage after losingKyle Van Noy, Jamie Collins and Elandon Roberts in free company. Don’t be stunned in the event that they attempt to get artistic and convert security/linebacker hybrids.
- Wide receiver:The unit that inlcudes N’Keal Harry, Julian Edelman and Mohamed Sanu needsextra punch, particularly with Phillip Dorsett leaving.
- Tight finish: Matt LaCosse nonetheless might do extra to assist exchange Rob Gronkowski, however they need to search for a possible starting-caliber receiving choice with one of their 4 picks within the first three rounds of the draft.
- Offensive line:Other than needing to fret about inside with out Thuney, sort out wants some consideration past Isaiah Wynn.
- Safety: They appear to be at all times searching for assist in the center of the secondary. They’re lengthy within the tooth with Devin McCourty and Patrick Chung.
Patriots mock draft 2020
Here are the most recent 2020 NFL Draft projections for the Patriots, in response to Vinnie Iyer’s seven-round mock draft:
|3||100||Okay.J. Hill||WR||Ohio State|
|4||125||Willie Gay Jr.||LB||Mississippi State|
|6||204||Alohi Gilman||S||Notre Dame|
|6||212||Isaiah Coulter||WR||Rhode Island|