In total, the five stand accused of defrauding the National Disability Insurance Scheme and the Child Care Subsidy of a combined $800,000, with Ms Hassan accused of splashing some of the cash on house cleaning, nannies and buying a home in Melbourne’s north.
Acting Assistant Commissioner and AFP Commander Krissy Barrett said the syndicate members face jail terms if convicted.
“Stealing from Australians is a crime but defrauding funds from those who rely on additional support is abhorrent, she said.
“It will also mean NDIS recipients targeted by the accused will now receive the resources they are entitled to.”
Federal police launched Operation Persei in August 2018 in an attempt to infiltrate the illegal operation after receiving intelligence about the suspected activity.
Investigators said as they dug deeper they discovered the Whittlesea mother was allegedly also fraudulently obtaining government benefits for her “romantic, live-in partner” Mr Ibrahim, who she said she was employing to care for her kids.
Police allege though that Mr Ibrahim instead worked at his own hair salon with his childcare subsidy rebate used to employ nannies for their home.
Caroline Semisi, 32, from Meadow Heights and Asha Mohamed, 31, from Coburg also allegedly claimed benefits to care for the Whittlesea mothers children as family daycare educators, despite never doing so.
On March 27 and 28, federal officers executed 14 search warrants, seizing more than 35,000 pages of documents and 5.3 million electronic files including photos, documents and emails.
Last week, following the two-year long investigation, detectives then arrested the five.
Ms Hassan and her four co-accused appeared in Melbourne Magistrates Court on Monday where they had their bail extended to reappear in court on March 2.
A federal police spokeswoman said Ms Hassan has been charged with various offences including conspiracy to defraud, dishonestly causing loss to another person and obtaining financial advantages through deception.
Mr Ibrahim has been charged with conspiracy to defraud and obtaining financial advantages through deception.
Ms Boal is also facing conspiracy to defraud charges while Ms Semisi and Ms Mohamed have been charged with submitting false claims.
The matters are yet to be proven.
Federal Education Minister Dan Tehan said the government continued to take strong action against shonky operators who try to rort Australian taxpayers.
“My message to anyone thinking of trying to rip off the Australian taxpayer through the childcare system is dont, because we will come after you,” Mr Tehan said.
Erin covers crime for The Age. Most recently she was a police reporter at the Geelong Advertiser.